Sunday, November 1, 2009

Holidays, Wal-Mart, Costumes, and Candy

So yesterday was Halloween. Melanie had babysat the evening before so Mike and I could go on a date, and she had gotten the kids all excited for the upcoming holidays. So they were quite excited to get up Halloween morning.

After spending a few morning hours doing some deep cleaning in the house (I can't believe we've been here almost 6 months already and that there is any deep cleaning that needs to be done!), I took the kids to Wal-Mart. Little Michael had a blast. I had the kids in one of those kid-carts that has special seats for two toddlers. If not buckled properly, and usually even if they are buckled properly, children love this because they can easily get in and out of the cart on their own. Michael watched me meticulously for a few minutes of shopping. Then, while I was looking at some juice, he hopped down to do some shopping of his own. When I turned around, he had a box of Capri-Sun drinks that he was hoisting up into the basket. It made me laugh, and I even let him keep them. A few minutes later, I caught him shoving a bag of flour into the cart. I assured him we had plenty of flour at home and put it back on the shelf. And finally, I had to put an end to his shopping spree, when I turned around and found about 10 Kleenex boxes in the cart and more on the way.

After Wal-Mart, we came home for naps. Melanie came up, and then it was time for costumes. Becca got dressed and made up and was super excited. Michael, on the other hand, absolutely refused to wear his costume. He was going to be a knight in shining armor, but ended up just wearing a black turtle neck and slacks. We all tried, but he never would put the costume one.

We went to the church for a chili cook-off and trunk-or-treating. Then when we got home, we took the kids next door to trick-or-treat. Then we came home for the night, relaxed and tried to keep the kids from consuming their candy in one night.



1 comment:

Beth & Rob Bailey said...

They are cute (even if one is without costume)! By the way, the more kids you take to the store, the more things magically find their way into the cart! (having an extra adult around is more of a distraction rather than a help)